Sunday, July 11, 2010

How Would You Handle This???

The focus for this blog is to encourage my ESL students to "discuss". I want them to discuss problems they encounter in their daily lives and also to share ideas and solutions. We have had discussions in class and now it is my hope to use social media to continue the discussions.

Here's a situation one of my students
encountered:
This student and his family went to Sam's club to purchase a TV and they took their 11 year old son along. They were going to have their son write out the amount for the purchase on the check for the TV and they would sign it, as they have done in the past. They were just learning how to write themselves. When it came time to write the check, the son didn't know how to write the amount of the purchase in words. As the family waited to see how they could solve the problem, another store patron helped the son spell the words and correctly fill in the check.

My question to my class would be: How would you handle this?? What are your suggestions and ideas??

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for sharing relevant cultural information, communicating with your students in and out of class and getting your students to write, which is always a challenge! I like this, Deb!

    ReplyDelete